This exploding gift box was created to give to someone special going on a journey. I wanted to make a box where 3 sides drop down and the back remains upright. I also wanted to include a place where a gift card or money could be inserted (very useful for an extended trip). In keeping with this theme I created the suitcase, made a little travel guide and map for the journey.
Products from Heartfelt Creations:
- Arianna Blooms Collection 12 X 12 inch Pad.
- Luggage Die set with Tags (HCD 745)
- Arianna Lace Die set (HCD 747).
- Arianna Blooms Die set (HCD 748)
- Arianna Blooms Stamp set (HCPC 3608)
- Sun Kissed Fleur Die set – (HCD 734).
- Cut Mat Create Die sets 1A, 1B and 2A (HCD 749, 750 and 751).
- Cosmic Shimmer PVA for flower construction, Collall all purpose for gluing flat card layers, hot melt glue for fast grab and 3D elements.
- Heavy plain manila card for box construction.
- Flower shaping tools and foam mat from Creata.
- Craft knife, metal edged ruler, glass work mat.
- Memento dye ink pad (Tuxedo Black) for stamping the flower elements, Distress inks (Antique Linen and Tea Dye), Spectrum Noir alcohol ink pens (DR7 dark red, LG5 green, GB3 golden yellow).
- Dovecraft glitter glue (crystal) and Cosmic Shimmer PVA (Vintage Pink) for decoration.
- Computer printed sentiments.
- Recycled old French dictionary and Atlas page, lace fragment, small piece pink raffia, glass pearls and chain.
The suitcase was constructed following directions on the Heartfelt Creations YouTube Channel; cut from craft card, lined with patterned paper, handles and straps coloured with DR7 alcohol ink. I wanted the case to sit opened upright at right angles to hold the back of the box up when opened – so I constructed a block with card and glued (piece 7 x 4cm scored and glued to make block).
The suitcase now will form part of the box construction holding up the back panel.
Cut patterned card for book cover using Cut Mat Create A oblong, and book pages with B die – created mini travel guide.
Cut old Atlas page with medium A oblong die. Scrunched and distressed to create old map.
Cut box sections from manila card – two 11cm squares for sides, two 15 X 11cm for outer base and front flap, one 15 X 22cm for back and inside base (scored at 11cm and folded up).
Cut one 19.5 x 15.5cm and scored 2cm in around each edge, snipped into corners, folded and glued to create the box lid.
Then covered all panels with decorative papers adding sentiments etc. Hinges for the box were created by cutting the decorative papers longer at the base of each side panel and wrapping them under the base panel. A second base panel was then glued to the outside base, covering the workings. The map, book, suitcase goodies etc. where then glued in place with hot melt glue. A die cut tag was included on the lid so that the sender could write a message.
Flowers were stamped and cut out, coloured with Spectrum Noir pens and shaped (see Heartfelt Creations YouTube Channel). Decoration was completed with Lace die cuts and sprigs from the Cut Mat Create Die sets, finished with PVA pearl dots and glitter glue.