I love jewellery making so had to make something with the lovely snowflakes from the Sparkling Trees stamps. I wanted to make a versatile set wearable throughout the winter season, not just Christmas.
Novice jewellery makers will be able to create this set. If you can make beaded earrings and know how to create wire loops – this project is easy.
- Sparkling Trees stamp set
- Lightweight balsawood blank hearts – 1 X approx. 4cm, 3 X 3cm and 3 X 2.5cm
- Gesso, gilding wax (silver) and acrylic paint (blue )
- Glossy Accents (Ranger)
- WOW embossing powder (superfine white)
- Versamark inkpad, talc or antistatic powder bag
- Fine permanent markers (black and white)
- Fast grab PVA glue and small fabric scrap
- Jewellery findings – short necklace cord with clasp (or wire choker), 2 earring hooks, 7 eyepins (or 0.6mm wire to make), 3 crystal drops with bail, size 8 blue seed beads and flat backed gems to decorate.
- Wire cutters, round and flat nosed jewellery pliers
How to make it:
- I used balsawood shapes which are lightweight, but you could use layers of die cut card shapes (bonding with PVA).
- Paint the shapes with gesso (primer) then blue acrylic paint. Leave until completely dry.
- Dust shapes with talc, stamp snowflakes with Versamark, heat emboss with fine white powder.
- Add shading by dotting with fine black pen, then draw faux stitching with white pen.
- Coat with Glossy Accents and place sparkly gems. Leave overnight to set.
- Cut fabric slightly smaller than the shapes. Glue onto the backs to attach the eyepins. Align the loops at the bottom of the hearts and leave the top of the wires straight (to create loops later). When dry paint with blue acrylic and edge the shapes with gilding wax. Add a thin layer of Glossy Accents to the backs to seal and give shine. The backs will occasionally show so you will want these to look neat too.
- Finally create wire loops joining the hearts and add crystal drops. Attach to earring findings and necklace cord.
I have created a beaded Kumihimo cord for my pendant. If you would like me to share how I did this I would be more than happy. A simple ribbon or ready made cord would also look great.