I loved the fit and style of this black top but spoiled it with splashes of bleach whilst cleaning. I recycled a few more items that were destined for the bin to revamp the top and disguise the bleach splashes. I love the new look – 70s retro and totally original. I hope that this inspires you to recycle and make New from Old.
I have entered this into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge – Themed ‘Something New’ and featuring Tim Holtz products.
- Tim Holtz Tattered Florals BigZ die, Tim Holtz Mini Tattered Florals BigZ die, Sizzix Flower Layers 4 BigZ die
- General sewing thread and machine embroidery thread
- Stitch & tear embroidery stabiliser
- Sewing machine adjustable for free machine embroidery (dropped feed dogs)
- Black T shirt, old long grey skirt, more old clothes in red and turquoise
How it was done:
- I first slit the ‘skirt’ of the T shirt into thin strips to create tassels. The ends were knotted to prevent unravelling. Pulling the strips made them curl into tasselled cords.
- I cut up the old grey skirt and stitched to make a new lining for the top.
- Dies were used to create the floral applique from 2 more old clothing items.
- I stitched the flowers in place with several rounds of free machining and embroidery thread. Stitch and tear was used on the back to stabilise while working. I didn’t bond the applique but left raw edges. Great tattered floral applique.