I have used stamps and dies from the All Geared Up Collection to revamp a skirt that I got from the Charity Shop for just £2. I thought that the style suited a Steampunk makeover. I love it.
Sadly this Collection is no longer in stock from Heartfelt Creations but you may be able to get hold of it elsewhere if you don’t already have it. Alternatively use any one of the lovely floral Collections available to jazz up your garments.
Heartfelt Creations Materials:
- Cogs and Gears stamp set (HCPC-3636)
- Tarnished Gears stamp set (HCPC-3634)
- Shifting Gears stamp set (HCPC-3635)
- All Geared Up die set (HCD-754)
Other Materials used:
- Evolon Standard weight – non fray polyester mix fabric (Colourcraft)
- Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Acrylic Paints in pinks, oranges and yellow (Satin finish: Carrot, Part Streamer, Pollen and Easter Egg. Pearl finish: Tiger Lily and Fruit Punch)
- Jacquard Lumiere paint with mica – Halo Pink Gold
- Vallejo Textile Paint – Red and Bengali Rose
- Badger Airtex Opaque fabric paints – White and Yellow
- Cut-N-Dry Foam (or sponges)
- Card – shim for die cutting
- Fabric to Fabric Matte Decoupage Medium (Martha Stewart)
- Pinflair Glitter Wand – gold (glitter glue suitable for fabric)
How it was made:
First I used the stamps to create a background along the upper and lower skirt hems, stamping randomly and overlapping some areas. The Martha Stewart and Textile paints are semi translucent and so give subtle results on dark fabrics. I wanted soft results for the background painting. I mixed yellow or white opaque paints in with other colours to create stronger colours for some areas of the stamping along the hem of the upper skirt where I wanted more obvious design detail. Tip: While multi stamping place the stamps face down onto a damp cloth between uses. This helps prevent the paint drying on the stamp. When finished clean the stamps quickly with warm water.
I coloured a piece of Evolon randomly with the acrylic colours. When dry I cut out using the dies. From the waste I then cut out some swirly stem shapes using scissors. Tip: add a sheet of card over the fabric when die cutting. This gives the die something to ‘crunch’ into and ensures that it cuts right through. Keep the card cuts for another project.
I used the fabric decoupage glue to glue the flowers and stems onto the skirt front, applied with a brush. Finally I added some dots of glitter glue (suitable for fabric), and left overnight to fully dry.
The paints and glue were then heat set by ironing (making the garment washable). Tip: If you intend to machine was your garment it may be an idea to add some stitching to the applique for added security. It is not essential to over sew all the edge as Evolon is non-fray. Just a few running stitches would be sufficient, or maybe embellish with embroidery.