Brother ScanNCut shows coming on Create & Craft TV tomorrow with new Christmas SVG files from the Cutting Craftorium. There is also a coordinating CD with fabulous printables, and a bundle (CD and USB) with both collections.
There is so much on this Christmas USB for creating 3D home decor items for Christmas: sleigh, reindeer, rocking horse, boxes, napkin rings, lantern, crackers, cake stands, and wreaths but to name a few. I have not seen the optional CD with images and background papers to coordinate with the cutting files – will have to catch the shows tomorrow. It will probably be a must to add to my Christmas crafting collection.
This is a fabulous set of cutting files in SVG format. SVG files are so versatile and can be used on many other electronic cutters, not just the Brother ScanNCut, e.g. Silhouette (with the Designer Edition software).
Here is a brief tutorial for my version of the Matchbox Diorama – TV show sample for tomorrow. Anne x.
- Christmas USB (SVG files) from the Cutting Craftorium
- Brother ScanNCut CM300 cutting machine
- Card approx 220gsm: White, light blue, dark blue, Kraft card and Aqua glitter card
- Waste star cut from the star cake stand (light blue)*
- Fake snow (Pinflair Snow Dust)
- Brown pencil and fine tipped metallic silver pen
- Glitter glue (crystal clear)
- Faux gems and organza ribbon (aqua)
- Acrylic glue (Cosmic Shimmer), 3D glue gel (Pinflair)
*I saved this piece from my Victorian Lantern project (see post below). Alternatively cut a star from one of the machine inbuilt designs to make the sentiment panel.
How to make it:
It is a bit tricky to write an exact step by step but hopefully I have given enough info for you to make something similar and adapt it to your own taste x.
Generally my settings for around 220 gsm card is: Speed 5, cut pressure 0 or 1, blade depth 5 or 6. It will vary with card thickness and structure (density etc.). If you are a newbie, or trying out a new batch of card, use the test cut function to try out settings – then record for future reference.
I used the Matchbox Diorama files to create this project.
- Cut the Matchbox Drawer in white card (wait before gluing).
- Cut the Matchbox Wrap in Kraft card.
- Cut the Matchbox Cover (Noel) in white, light blue and glitter card. Glue down the light blue layer onto the Matchbox. Snip away the swirly sections on the white cut out, leaving the border and snowflakes (keep the waste pieces). Glue on top and add gems and bow. Finally snip out the lettering from the glitter card panel and glue in place. Make up the box wrap.
- Now cut the elements from the Woodland Reindeer Scene folder. Cut 2 reindeer (Layer 4) from Kraft card. Snip away the antlers from one. Add a little shading with brown pencil and clear glitter glue for sparkle.
- Cut 1 each of the grass border (Layer 5), trees (Layer 2) and the foliage (Layer 3) from light blue card.
- Load the background (Layer 1) and add a circle (inbuilt machine pattern) to the bottom right, adjust the size to make a moon, and weld. Cut X1 from dark blue card.
- Hand cut a panel to fit into the base from the glitter card (or use a rectangle shape from the machine patterns and resize). You want it to have a little clearance all around so cut it approx. 2mm smaller than the box base. Glue in place. Next fold the tabs back on the back panel and box, glue in place and make up the box at this stage.
- Next build up all the layers and glue in place. Add a couple of swirls from the box top waste. Write a sentiment on the star with the silver marker. Finally finish with plenty of fake snow and glitter glue.