Printing onto Fabric using Bubble Jet Set

I have been meaning to try this stuff out for ages and have finally got around to testing out Bubble Jet Set for printing directly onto fabric from an inkjet printer. I have an Epson printer with compatible archival type pigment inks but this works with inkjet dye based inks too (although I haven’t personally assessed those).

 

AW Bubble Jet Set 1

  1. I used 100% cotton fabric prewashed to remove any starch or sizing etc. Soaked in the solution for 5 mins and then air dried (excess solution can be returned to the bottle).
  2. I left it to air dry then ironed to remove any creasing. Then ironed onto the shiny side of freezer paper (available from grocers).
  3. I had a lot of trouble initially getting my printer to accept the sheets! Freezer papers do vary in thickness and stiffness and mine was a bit limp and my printer just wasn’t having it. To get around this I slightly trimmed back my sheet and used a glue stick to apply the sheet to a piece of standard copy paper. Hey presto – my printer accepted it perfectly.
  4. I printed some butterflies from a Copyright Free image set from Dover Publications – using standard paper print settings. They printed out perfectly.
  5. After 30 mins I wash tested the images (hand hot wash with detergent – washing up liquid) and they washed perfectly with no loss of image. Yay!
  6. I ironed on some interfacing and embellished some of these with free machine embroidery before cutting out and using for applique. Delighted with the results and it works out so much cheaper than the ready to print fabric sheets that are available (they are very good but far too expensive for me).

AW Bubble Jet Set 2

AW Bubble Jet Set 3

AW Delphiniums 2

Tiered Maxi Skirt made from a recycled bed sheet

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 2

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 4

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 5

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 6

 

 

Good afternoon. I am sharing a skirt that I made from an old double bed white sheet. I dyed the background and made up this simple tiered skirt. I simply measured my hips and cut the width of the top tier so that I could pull it on easily with an elasticated top band. I then added tiers of increasing width (approx. 1.5 to 2X the width of the previous tier). I used a remnant of embroidered fabric for the bottom frill.

Before adding the elastic to the waist I machine embroidered rows of decorative stitching and flourishes. I then block printed with various designs and heat set to make permanent. Summer here we come.

Materials:

White cotton double bed sheet, cotton ribbon for trim (dyed with sheet) and remnant of turquoise embroidered chiffon

Dylon multipurpose dye. This is now discontinued but they have a new formulation that is equivalent for use on natural fabrics (dyed in washing machine).

Madiera Rayon embroidery thread – variegated golds and browns

Wooden printing blocks:

Owl (Blockwallah), small leaves, floral sprig, daisy flower, leafy spiral (Colouricious), paisley and floral Border (unknown brand)

High density foam mat – to lay underneath as block print (Colouricious)

Fabric paints – heat set with iron (to make permanent):

White Gold Starlights Fabric Paint (Imagination Crafts), Chestnut Brown Multipurpose Satin Paint (Martha Stewart), Turquoise blue mixed to match fabric – Opaque White (Jacquard), Metallic Turquoise and Blue (Vallejo from Colouricious)