Upcycled skirt and top, dyed and block printed ready for summer

AW Upcycled printed skirt 1AW Upcycled printed skirt 2

Good morning. I have been doing a little more fabric dyeing and block printing of my clothes ready for summer. This one started off as a plain white skirt. It was a bargain charity shop buy at just £2 – but white is simply not me.

The fabric is 100% cotton with a fine metallic thread running through it at intervals – perfect for dyeing. I dyed it Flamingo Pink (Dylon) using the washing machine. Then I block printed with fabric paint and wooden print blocks (Blockwallah and Colouricious). Ta Da – a lovely revamped skirt ready for summer.

 

I also picked up another £2 bargain which started off as a pale pink knitted top. I dyed it in the same batch and it turned out fabulous. It was mainly viscose but also had a synthetic fibre component. You can see in the close up that it came out with a lovely mottled effect as the synthetic fibre remained undyed.

AW Dyed pink top

AW Dyed top pink 1

Advertisements

Upcycled top dyed and block printed

AW Upcycled Block Print Top

 

Good afternoon. I have had a fabulous morning crafting in my pyjamas – luxury – tee hee.

 

This top started white with blue & red embroidery. Unfortunately I splashed the front with curry while cooking and I just couldn’t get it out. No problem – I have disguised it with dyeing and block printing. Now you would never know.

 

I dyed a white skirt at the same time – so off to think about how I will decorate it further.

 

Materials:

Dylon machine dye with 500g salt (Bahama Blue)

Vallejo Textile paints (Blue & Red)

Foam stamping mat and sponges to apply paint to block (Colouricious)

Border and mandala block (Blockwallah)

Small decorative block (Colouricious?)

Tiered Maxi Skirt made from a recycled bed sheet

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 2

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 4

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 5

AW Tiered Maxi Skirt 6

 

 

Good afternoon. I am sharing a skirt that I made from an old double bed white sheet. I dyed the background and made up this simple tiered skirt. I simply measured my hips and cut the width of the top tier so that I could pull it on easily with an elasticated top band. I then added tiers of increasing width (approx. 1.5 to 2X the width of the previous tier). I used a remnant of embroidered fabric for the bottom frill.

Before adding the elastic to the waist I machine embroidered rows of decorative stitching and flourishes. I then block printed with various designs and heat set to make permanent. Summer here we come.

Materials:

White cotton double bed sheet, cotton ribbon for trim (dyed with sheet) and remnant of turquoise embroidered chiffon

Dylon multipurpose dye. This is now discontinued but they have a new formulation that is equivalent for use on natural fabrics (dyed in washing machine).

Madiera Rayon embroidery thread – variegated golds and browns

Wooden printing blocks:

Owl (Blockwallah), small leaves, floral sprig, daisy flower, leafy spiral (Colouricious), paisley and floral Border (unknown brand)

High density foam mat – to lay underneath as block print (Colouricious)

Fabric paints – heat set with iron (to make permanent):

White Gold Starlights Fabric Paint (Imagination Crafts), Chestnut Brown Multipurpose Satin Paint (Martha Stewart), Turquoise blue mixed to match fabric – Opaque White (Jacquard), Metallic Turquoise and Blue (Vallejo from Colouricious)