Jewellery components – chain, recycled bead strings with calottes attached, toggle clasp ring, headpin, small piece felt
How it was made:
Stamped the tile with archival ink and coloured the flowers with watercolour pens. With a pokey tool I then scratched back the surface to create fine detailed highlights. The edges were inked with Distress Ink.
The tile was then sealed with 3 layers of embossing powder applied with Versamark Ink. NOTE: The embossed layer did tend to crack and easily chips off the Stampbord. I think that I will try doming resin next time.
A wire loop was made from the headpin, glued to the back and covered with felt. The pendant was then hung from a decorative toggle clasp loop and attached to the necklace.
100% silk white scarf finished with hand rolled edges
Steam fix silk dyes (mix of pinks, orange)
Heat fix acrylic based fabric paints (black and pink with gold mica)
Decolourant medium (for faux bleaching)
Frame for stretching silk while painting
Granular sea salt
Pressure cooker, unprinted newspaper, aluminium foil for steam setting dyes and iron for setting heat fix paints
How to make it:
Stretch the silk onto frame and paint with a random mix of pink steam fix dyes. Leave to fully dry.
Randomly splash with orange steam fix dye. Dry.
Paint circles with water and drop in salt. Dry and brush away the salt.
Lay silk onto newspaper, roll and make a parcel. It is important that no layers of the silk directly touch. Wrap loosely with foil. Steam set the dyes in the pressure cooker (approx 1 hour). NOTE: Steam fix dyes are a bit tricky for beginners but they have properties that are not achievable with iron fix silk dyes. Steam fix dye molecules remain ‘moveable’ until they are set so you can create special effects, e.g. by overpainting with water or other dyes, that are not achievable with iron fix silk paints. Steam fix dies also leave a beautiful soft handle and sheen to the silk. You could use fluid heat set silk paints to achieve a similar effect, then simply iron to set. The fabric will be very slightly dulled and stiffened by this method.
Wash to remove excess dye, dry and iron the silk.
Lay the silk over a waste piece of fabric (I used a piece of recycled curtain lining) for stamping. I found that newspapers tended to stick to the paints. I held the silk in place while I stamped sections using large elastic bands stretched over my glass mat.
Using decolourant stamp the lace flower, placing the flower head onto the circular ‘floral elements’ of the dyed silk. Apply to the stamp with sponge.
When dry iron on steam setting. This removes some of the colour from the background. This step is a bit variable as some dyes ‘discharge’ their colour better than others. This step just gives added texture to the background. Wash, dry and iron the silk.
Stamp the lace flower with black, the lace texture with pink mica paint. Dry then iron fix. Finally wash, dry and iron.
This project may seem a bit scary for beginners – just experiment. Silk can be a bit fiddly to handle as the fabric is so fine and paints will bleed through. Why not try stamping iron fix paints on cotton, cutting up and making patchwork bags or cushions.
A big tip for stamping on fabric. I used to use ordinary sponges to apply paints to the stamp. Using this method the stamps soon become clogged with paint and crisp stamping is lost. I have found that applying paint with a palette knife to cut and dry foam gives far superior results. No messy palettes drying out as you work either. Much better method.
I am hoping to start doing some YouTube videos soon so this would be a good tutorial to do. Much easier to see than to describe in words.
To create the 3D mini bag shape I drew around some die shapes with a pencil and cut out by hand. There is a little tent fold join underneath to enable it to free stand and fold flat into an envelope. The ‘card’ doesn’t open when finished so I cut a small die cut tag from mirror card for writing a message. Decorative clasp elements were also die cut from gold mirror card. I edged the little bag shape with gold marker.
The lace texture was stamped on the front and back with Vesamark and embossed with gold powder. The lace border was stamped with glue onto a strip of black card. I then applied gilding flakes and buffed. Trimmed to fit the bag base (front and back).
Spritzed white card with pink and gold water based paints and dropped in salt. Left to dry. Stamped the lace flower with Versafine and cut out. Touched up the colouring with the pigment pen to add a bit of shading, shaped slightly with a ball tool. Applied to the bag front with 3D glue.
Glued the front and back sections of the bag together at the top edges, trapping the ribbon handle between. Thread another ribbon through the clasp hole attaching the little mini tag. Finished with a little glitter glue for sparkle.
Adhesive, double sided tape, sticky glue dots, sticky foam pads, 3D glue gel
How it was made:
Spritzed white card with pink and gold water based paints and dropped in salt. Left to dry.
Trimmed to layer onto the card front. Pricked the border and added faux stitching with fine black marker. Edged using gold marker and Distress Ink.
Stamped the lace flower 3 times across the card topper with Versafine. Also stamped another 3 times onto the remaining card and cut out the flower heads. Touched up the colouring with the pigment pen to add a bit of shading. Shaped slightly with a ball tool.
Stamped the lace border with glue onto a strip of black card, and the sentiment onto a die cut shape edged with gold marker pen. Applied gilding flakes and buffed. Trimmed the top edge of the strip and attached the ribbon with double sided tape and the bow with a glue dot. Layered the strip and sentiment onto the card front with foam pads and glued on the flowers with 3D glue gel. Finished with a few black PVA pearls and glitter glue.